I’m downright surprised myself that I haven’t rounded up polka dot things yet. My picks for a modern spin on the pattern, and below, some personal tips for how to avoid looking super tacky when sporting dots.
Five (priceless) points of advice:
1. Stay away from navy blue with white polka dots. You’ll look like an unfortunate nautical incident.
2. Likewise, try unexpected colors (like, I don’t know, charcoal + blood orange) for a more modern approach.
3. Recognize that polka dots inevitably connote the pin-up… which is good. BUT you don’t need to pair the look with MORE of those classics, or it will look like you’re a trying-too-hard parody of pin-up greatness. Thus, things that are good on their own, but should be avoided whilst rocking polka dots: bright red lipstick, victory rolls, bandanas, saddle shoes, sweetheart halters… even winged eyeliner is pushing it, in my opinion. Keep your hair and accessories minimalist.
4. I’m SOOO much more into differently sized polka dots and not-equally-spaced polka dots right now. It’s like the grown-up version of dots.
5. Try swiss dots for a more delicate, feminine look.
Following the rules beautifully, this unique Marimekko collection:
And some dotspo: